Thursday, January 29, 2009

for the preachers

Tell me the story again–
I know you’ve told me before,
Hundreds of times,
But I was given a mind like a child
And like a child I recognize a good tale
When I hear it, and so tell it to me again
So I can live in it body, mind, and soul

Let me sit down at your feet,
Master bard, prophet, priest, and poet alike,
The keeper of the keys of our history.

Tell me of our ancestors
Who rose up and followed a midnight voice
To go find the light
Who stayed in darkness and did dark deeds
Who called upon the name of the Lord
Who built a tower to bring Him down
Tell me again of the great rebellion
Tell me again of the remnant that remained

Tell me of the heroes who paved the way
For the greater Hero who was to come
Tell me of His kindness toward the unkind
Tell me of the bloody battle that tore Him to pieces
And of the victory He won on the third day

And tell me of the fathers and the mothers
Who handed on the flame of love through
Persecution and nakedness and famine and sword

And tell me your story, O preacher–
Tell me of your sin forgiven, soul redeemed,
Mind renewed, body marked for resurrection.
Tell your story to tell the greater One
Over and over and over again

So that we children at your feet
May find the courage and skill to tell ours.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so awesome. I wish some of my divinity school colleagues could check this out, too. I imagine that preaching can become mundane for the preacher in dealing with the same stories and topics. But this perspective from a congregant is refreshing and imbues the task with the sense of importance and responsibility it should carry. I also think that preachers need to feel the same way as the congregation member of the poem: they should read the Scriptures always mindful that their minds must be continually renewed in Christ, and that the Spirit can always led us into deeper messages of the Scriptures. We should all be like children in the lap of Jesus.
--Adam

February 1, 2009 at 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[continued] we all need continually to be reminded of the grace of God and the story of God among and through God's people throughout the ages. These stories reveal glory of God and renew our minds as we think in their categories of thought and find ourselves a part of the story too.

February 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home