Thursday, April 21, 2005

May Cause Drowsiness

Walk in. Sit down.
Take your notes and listen
To the same thing you've heard every hour
For the past year:
"This is another day
Make the most of it
Don't waste it"

Meaningless, cries the student.
Everything is meaningless
a chasing after the cotton candy culture
the whirlwind fulfillment

This religion is just like a drug
Sedative to make them forget the pain
May cause drowsiness if combined with
the soursweet wine of apathy and reason

"this is another day
make the most of it
don't waste your life"

Stand up. Walk out. Forget the masses.
You're more awake than you ever were
As this cold water covers you with its clarity.

1 Comments:

Anonymous christina said...

I randomly found your page while doing research on Annie Dillard for class. I just wanted to tell you how much I love this poem. I couldn't have found it at a more perfect time in my life. Oh, the stresses of college!

May 4, 2005 at 7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home